Thursday 25 March 2010

From Foreign Parts

Mistress receives many e-mails from artists. She’s had images that range from the ‘Still Life’, to raunchy nudes. I can tell how these are being received from my pitch under her desk and I am used to God’s name being taken in vain. Occasionally I hear a giggle, which means she is looking at something rude.

Sometimes, Mistress finds herself in difficult situations that she can’t get out of.

One afternoon, we had a young man who came into the gallery after leaving dozens of messages. Mistress finally relented and made an appointment. On his arrival, he smelt of heavy leather and nicotine.

The man was called Marek and he was hardly inside the door when he laid out several sheets of paper. He liked boats, I could see that. The man had painted boats at sunset, boats against a strike of lightening and a series of canoes diving into bright green waves.

“Right,” said Mistress. She put her hands on her hips as a sign of authority. But it was a dead give-away to me. She had no idea what to say.

I sat on my haunches and put my head to one side to show that I was giving the painter serious consideration.

“Can you help me?”

The man had an accent, but Geography is not my strong point. I think he said he came from Warjaw.

We have artists from everywhere, but Warjaw sounded interesting. I had an inkling that this man had a kind heart. He might be kind to Mistress. So would she take him on, or not?

Follow the trails of paint to find out and catch up with me later!

No comments:

Post a Comment